The Makeful crew curates and creates projects every single day. Each project is handmade to inspire creativity within ourselves, and we love what we do. Our curated articles are our favorites of the internet. We love finding new creatives to follow and share with the Makeful reader. We’re living out loud, in color and imagination. #MakefulCrew
We've rarely met a donut we didn't like. They are seriously like kryptonite to us. So when some of us ditched sugar, flour, dairy, and all those other ingredients that make up a delicious round fluff from heaven, we had to find an alternative to cover sweet tooth addictions. After much trial and error, we discovered the recipe for the ultimate Paleo Girl Scout Cookie Donut (It’s gluten-free too)!
- 2 1/2 Cups Almond Flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 6 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 egg, room temperature
- 1 can (topping) coconut milk
- 1/2 Cup (topping) Honey
- 2 pinches (topping) salt
- 2 Tsp (topping) vanilla
- 1/4 cup (topping) Shredded Coconut
- 1 Cup (topping) Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tbsp (topping) Butter or Ghee
Here’s the thing…these babies are made almost entirely of ALMONDS, which gives them a healthy edge, as well as moist natural sweetness. Most recently, when one of our staffers decided to tackle this recipe, she was certain she had all of the ingredients. Fun surprise when she went to grab the almond flour and realized she only had about a half a cup. Time to improvise! So she grabbed the coffee grinder, a bag of almonds from the cupboard, and voila! Perfectly fresh almond flour.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease your donut pan with coconut oil.
3. Mix together almond flour, baking soda, and salt in one bowl.
4. Mix together honey, coconut oil, lemon juice, and eggs in another bowl.
5. Combine the ingredients and mix.
6. Scoop the batter into the donut pan so it is just below the top.
7. Bake 10-12 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for at least 5-7 minutes.
8. Remove donuts from pan on a wire rack and let them completely cool to touch.
9. While donuts are cooling, spread the coconut flakes onto an ungreased cookie sheet and toast at 325 degrees until they are light brown (about 5 minutes). Remove and let cool.
For the caramel:
1. Bring the coconut milk, honey, and salt to a bowl over med-high heat in a small saucepan mixing well. Once combined, reduce to a medium heat and boil down for about 30-35 minutes. We suggest starting the caramel first and then the donuts while waiting for the mixture to boil down. Be patient with the caramel. It takes a while to make such awesomeness. Feel free to improvise with the design and dipping of the caramel, melted chocolate, and coconut flakes.
2. Add the butter and vanilla, stir well. Cook for another 15-20 minutes (until there is a dark caramel color). Stir often and be patient!
3. Remove caramel from heat and transfer to a bowl. Let it cool down for a few minutes, then stir until it’s shiny and smooth.
1. Once the donuts have completely cooled and the caramel is ready to go, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave.
2. Spread the chocolate on one side of the donuts and let cool in the refrigerator for 5 minutes
3. Once the chocolate has hardened, remove from refrigerator and turn over and dip the other side in the caramel.
4. Set each donut down and drizzle the remaining chocolate on top and sprinkle the toasted coconuts throughout your delicious creation.