We're having a pie party and you're invited! Let us show you how to make some delicious classic pies: Banana Cream, Sweet Blueberry, and French Apple. Your friends and family will be begging you to bake more once they try these!
For all three of these recipes, we used a classic pie crust recipe we love, but obvi you can substitute for your favorite go-to crust. Let’s get started!
Banana Cream Pie
1. With this baby, you bake the crust before you make the pie. That’s bananas, we know! Lightly poke a few holes in the crust dough using a fork. Bake at 350° for about 20-30 minutes till crust is golden brown.
2. Make your filling! Whisk together the sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt, and eggs, whisking until smooth. In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the milk just baaaaaarely to a boil and gradually add the hot milk to the egg mixture, stirring the whole time. Return the egg/milk mixture to the saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and starts to boil. Finally, remove the cream filling from the heat, and stir in the extracts and butter.
3. Time to fill ‘er up! Line the bottom of the pie with a layer of fresh, sliced bananas. Top your bananas with a generous layer of cream mixture. Then put the whole she-bang in the fridge to set until the whole thing is cool all the way through. Top with a couple banana slices and some whipped cream to serve.
Sweet Blueberry Pie
1. Preheat oven to 425°. Place 1 cup of blueberries in a medium saucepan with 1/2 cup water, covering them and bringing to a boil. Once they’re boiling, lower the heat and simmer, stirring the whole time, for about 3 minutes.
2. In a separate bowl, stir together the remaining 3 cups blueberries, the cornstarch mixture, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Add to syrup mixture and Spoon it all into the baked pie shell.
3. Using remaining dough, make a basketweave pattern for the top of the pie by starting from the middle and working your way outwards. Pro Tip: make the weave patterned dough on a floured cutting board, then transfer to the pie when you’ve put it together. This cuts down on oopsy daisy pie filling messes!
4. Bake at 425° for 20-30 minutes till pie crust is golden brown. Allow cooling before serving.
Le French Apple Pie
1. Mix 4-5 chopped granny smith apples with sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. place inside the pie crust.
2. For the topping, mix together cold butter, flour, and brown sugar. Pour over the apple mixture and give it a nice love pat with your hands before baking it at 425° for 50 minutes.
3. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Definitely recommend a healthy scoop of vanilla ice cream and serving a la mode. Oui, oui, si’l vous plait!
We hope you love these three classic pie recipes as much as we do! Show us your handiwork by tagging us on Instagram @bemakeful