Today we're bringing one of our favorite trends to Cake Basics and showing you how to make a colorful ombré cake. It's a super easy way to decorate dessert and bring some serious chic to the party. DIY cake fun in the kitchen!
Here’s how to make this delicious stunner of a cake. Let’s get to it!
1. You want to mix up at least three shades of frosting to create the ombré look. Gel food coloring works super well for vibrant colors like our gorgeous shade of purple! For the darkest shade use 10-12 drops, for the medium lighter shade use 4-6 drops- less or more depending on how bright you want it to be.
2. Start with your darkest color frosting and apply a thin band of it around the bottom of the cake. We used an icing spatula but a good ol’ butter knife works just fine!
3. Next, do the same thing with your middle shade and apply a layer right above the darker shade. Starting to look ombré already!
4. Finally, apply a band of white along the top edge of the cake, just above the middle shade. When all three colors have been applied and look kinda like stripes, it’s time to ombré, baby.
5. Blend the three frostings together by holding your spatula or knife straight up and down against the side of the cake and gently turning it so that the three colors soften together. Gorgeous!
6. Finally, top the cake with a generous helping of white frosting. It’s okay if a clittle color gets in there- it actually helps with the ombre look. Clean up the edges and voilá! A super chic ombré cake sure to impress.
And, ya know, if you wanna add a little sumthin’ sumthin’ to tie the whole look together, sprinkles never hurt anybody…