The solution isn't staying at home, don't worry.
If you’ve ever stayed up a little too late or had an extra drink or two, you’ll know the feeling of “post-party” skin. It’s the puffy eyes or painfully dry skin that comes after a night-out.
Just like the headache that goes along with it, the dry-feeling, puffy skin is caused by dehydration. Aside from replenishing your fluids from within by drinking lots of water, one of the best things you can do is apply a powerful moisturizing cream to keep any more water from escaping.
But that doesn’t have to mean splurging on an expensive eye cream. Luckily, we’re here to help you use the same idea and ingredients in a much more effective way. Follow along with this easy DIY recipe for cooling, anti-puff eye cream to help you recover after a long night out.
It’s made from all-natural, preservative-free ingredients that are easy to find, and it’s super easy to make (even if you’re not feeling in tip-top shape). Plus, this cream keeps for up to a year, so you can make it once and have it on hand when you need it.
For extra moisturizing properties, pair this cream with an eye gel to get the best of both worlds.
About the ingredients
Sweet Almond Oil
In general, most plant oils are considered emollients, meaning they fill in and smooth your skin. But oils high in oleic acid, like this one, also have occlusive properties so they form a protective layer on your skin to seal water in.
This hard butter thickens the texture of emulsions. It is great for dry chapped skin and many say it helps reduce and prevent the appearance of scars. With a melting point of 93–101 °F (34–38 °C), it will be the last of your oils to melt.
Optional: Chamomile Essential Oil
Long known for its stress-reduction properties, chamomile is one of the most soothing and safest oils on the market. Roman chamomile is simply a stronger form of the delicate flower.
The thing that makes roman chamomile so effective in combating skin issues is its intense natural anti-inflammatory properties. Any inflamed or irritated skin will benefit greatly from this soothing essential oil.
DIY Recovery Eye Cream for After a Night Out
Amount 2 ounces
- 1 ounce Sweet Almond Oil
- 1 ounce Cocoa Butter
- 1 drop Chamomile Essential Oil
- Before you begin, make sure everything is very clean since you will be using this around your eyes and want to avoid getting anything that could have bacteria close to your eyes.
- Measure 1 ounce of Cocoa Butter and 1 ounce Sweet Almond oil. Pour into microwave safe container.
- Place in microwave and heat in 30 second bursts on 50% power stirring after each burst until all the cocoa butter has melted.
- Add one drop Chamomile Essential Oil. Stir well.
- Cool in the fridge until cream hardens.
- Once the mixture solidifies, place a small amount on the fingertip and massage into the undereye area to help depuff the eyes.