On this DIY of Christmas, Molly is baking and decorating delicious Christmas cookies! Trust us: Santa (and your friends and family) will love them.
We suggest making these at a party or family gathering (maybe that’s both in your fam?!). Enjoy and have fun with these cookies (and your family and/or friends). The creative possibilities are endless when you’ve got a paint brush and colorful royal icing, No really, it’s TRUE. We love decorating cookies and so does Molly from Almost Makes Perfect. I don’t know about you but I’m ready to paint some pretty sweet looking cookies after watching that video. Here’s how we do it!
Make Your Dough
1. Sift together the flour and baking powder. Add salt and set aside.
2. In a small dish, whisk together the egg and vanilla extract, set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, cream together the room temperature butter and sugar for five minutes, scraping the bowl as you go to make sure it’s totally mixed.
4. Gradually add vanilla egg mixture, beating for about 30 secs to a minute.
5. Lower the speed of your mixer to low and gradually add your flour mixture until dough is completely, but not overly, mixed.
6. Refrigerate your dough for a minimum of 4 hours, but overnight is best. I know, the anticipation is killing us, too.
Time to Make Your Cookies!
1. Preheat oven to 375 °. Place your cookie dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out until about 1/4″ thick.
2. Cut out your cookies, re-rolling out the ends and scraps until you’ve used as much dough as you can.
3. Place your cookies in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to help them keep their shape, then bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes ’till they’re just starting to brown around the edges.
4. Let cool on the cookie sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack.
5. When cookies are completely cooled, it’s FINALLY time for the best part- decorating! Get creative and have fun with icing. Molly used the non-bristle end of a paintbrush to ice her cookies. What do you use at home? Let us know by tagging us on Instagram at @bemakeful and use #makefulholiday.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our 12 DIYs of Christmas series! Be sure to keep checking back for amazing DIY projects you can have fun with all year ’round.