Today on Cake Basics, we're whipping out the gum paste to show you how to make the perfect topper for any cake: a beautiful and delicious edible flower! Your cake decorating game just got seriously UPPED.
These handmade gumpaste flowers are alomst too beautiful to eat!…Almost.
1. Roll a small amount of gumpaste out onto a lined celcake board to create a vein in the petal. From there, take your petal shaped cutter to create a complete flower petal!
2. Insert the wire floral stems to the long end of the gum paste petal. Once your petal has a wire stem, use your ball pen to smooth out edges.
3. Now it’s time to make your gumpaste flower center! Roll a bit of gumpaste into a pea-sized ball. Insert a floral wire stem into the bottom middle of the gumpaste ball.
4. Using a paintbrush, clear alcohol, and powdered color dust, paint the center ball. Follow the same steps to paint your base coat on individual petals.
5. After everything has a chance to dry, begin gathering all of the petals around the center ball. Use an edible marker to darken edges and add tiny dots to the petals. It’s all in the details!
6. Once you’ve finished marking up your flower, use paper tape to wind around all your metal stems. Start at the very top and wind down.
*Pro Tip: cutting a drinking straw to the height of your cake and inserting to hold your gumpaste flower will keep everything in place.
And just like that, you’ve taken your cake decorating skills to the next level. Okay, maybe next 5 levels! We’d love to see how your creations turned out. Tag us on instagram @bemakfeul and use #bemakeful.