Remember the dark day when Twinkies were pulled from stores across America and every last processed mini cake flew off the shelves in the twinkle of an eye? Never fear! With this recipe, you'll be able to enjoy the fluffy treat anytime, anywhere.
Pre-heat your oven to 350.
Make the Cakes:
1. Beat 4 egg whites with a mixer till fluffy.
2. Mix 16 oz cake mix with 2/3 cup water. Gradually fold in the beaten egg whites.
3. Spray your cake tin with non-stick spray and spoon batter evenly into the molds.
4. Bake for 5 minutes at 350, or until cakes are golden brown. Allow to cool completely before filling.
Make the Filling:
1. Stir together the hot water and salt until salt dissolves and set aside.
2. Combine 7 oz. marshmallow creme with 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, beating on high speed until smooth and fluffy. Add in the salt solution and beat one more minute.
Fill The Twinkies:
1. Use a toothpick to poke holes in the bottom of your cakes, hollowing out the inside of the cake as you go. Careful not to poke too far in or the cake will crack open. (Oops, learned the hard way.)
2. Use a baster or a piping bag to squeeze the filling into the holes you’ve made in the bottom of the cakes.
Dig in to the gooey, fluffy, All-American goodness!