Here's your ultimate Fall go-to!
With its abundance of sunshine, long days, warm weather, and outdoor activities, there are many reasons summertime is the absolute best. But, sadly, sometimes our skin doesn’t love summer as much as we do.
Common summertime skin problems such as acne, dehydrated skin, and sunburns can all be aggravated by overly air-conditioned rooms, chlorinated pools, and too much sun exposure.
If fact, a key reason summertime skin feels dry or breaks out is due to lack of moisture. Yes, even if you have “oily” skin! We get oily because our skin feels like it has to over-produce moisture to combat drying agents and the environment.
Luckily, you probably already have these all-natural, preservative-free ingredients in your kitchen, that when combined, become a hydrating and soothing powerhouse.
So, whether you are looking to give your skin a much-needed boost of moisture or heal after a little too much sun, this DIY sheet mask will help soothe your summer skin. Plus, unlike the store-bought variety, it won’t cost you a fortune
About the Ingredients
Compressed Sheet Mask
Sheet masks help hold the ingredients in place and keep the water from evaporating. You can get a pack of 100 online for around $10.
Have you ever wondered why women in movies and magazines are always putting cucumber slices on their eyes? It’s because dehydration is a major cause of under-eye circles and cucumbers are master hydrators. Plus they reduce swelling, soothe sunburns, and cool the skin.
Raw honey is another excellent natural moisturizer while having the added benefit of being a natural antibacterial agent. Honey goes deep into pores and cleans them out, eliminating harmful acne-causing bacteria.
Organic Sunflower Oil
Did you know skin needs both oil and water to keep proper moisturization levels? Sunflower oil is easy to access, lightweight, and helps replenish the skin with healthy oils. Plus it’s high in vitamin E and linoleic and oleic essential fatty acids, which help keep the skin glowing.
Optional: Sweet Orange Essential Oil
Don’t worry, be happy should be the motto of sweet orange. Most citrus oils have a fresh and rejuvenating smell but make the skin more prone to sun damage (phototoxicity).
Sweet orange is the rare citrus oil that will add an amazing scent to this mask and is safe to use on the skin in small quantities on all but the most sensitive skin types.
Try Our DIY Hydrating Sheet Mask:
What You’ll Need:
- A compressed sheet mask
- 3 teaspoons Cucumber-infused water*
- 2 teaspoons Honey
- ½ teaspoon Sunflower Oil
- Optional: 1 drop Sweet Orange Essential Oil
To make cucumber-infused water, cut ¼ cucumber into slices. Add to 1 cup distilled or purified water. Set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Combine 3 teaspoons cucumber-infused water, ½ teaspoon of honey, ½ teaspoon sunflower oil, and optional drop of sweet orange essential oil into a small container.
- Stir the ingredients together until mixed.
- Place the compressed sheet mask into the container. It should start to plump up immediately. Flip the plumped up sheet mask and stir gently until over until it is fully saturated with ingredients. For an additional cooling effect, place the container in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove mask from formula and slowly open up the mask. Place mask gently over face and leave on for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Repeat twice a week. Because the ingredients are very gentle you can do this mask up to once a day if you live in a dry climate and your skin needs more hydration.